The Reno Air Racing Association’s mission is to produce a first-class air racing and air show event that celebrates and perpetuates the world’s fastest motorsport. Fueled by decades of success, we’re committed to delivering a safe, entertaining and exhilarating experience for fans while also honoring our military, inspiring our youth and strengthening our community, economy and culture. We are proud to be home to one of the largest STEM Education Discovery Zones in the country to inspire our youth. The Global Robot and Drone Deployment (GRADD) and the Nevada Business Aviation Association (NVBAA) will be bringing their youth STEM learning programs each year to the National Championship Air Races, building on the success of the program that started in 2015.
Each year, thousands of school-aged children are introduced to the wonder of aviation through STEM-based learning projects at the National Championship Air Races. Our interactive exhibits are designed to inspire and empower kids to engage with science, technology, engineering and mathematics while encouraging them to pursue careers within the aviation and aerospace industry.
The STEM Education Discovery Zone is led by GRADD-NVBAA’s innovative team of engineers, scientists and educators who will be there to help aid in the learning and fun of these STEM-based displays. However, the discovery zone is not just for kids. All Air Race attendees are encouraged to stop by to experience these incredible hands-on activities.
GRADD-NVBAA STEM Education Discovery Zone includes an expanded drone flying zone, flight simulators, a 3D printing zone, a hydraulic robotic arm, STEM Arcade and much more. Plus, kids who participate in the STEM Discovery Zone will get free access to the National Championship Air Races for the remainder of the week.
The Annual GRADD-NVBAA STEM Education Discovery Zone will feature:
- Advanced flight training on flight simulators
- 3D printing display area with several large 3D prints, including
- F-22, F-86, A-10, SR-71, Mars Rover, Saturn V Rocket, Darth Vader, The Allegiant Stadium, Colosseum (Rome), Notre Dame Cathedral and more
- Aviation & Rocket picture booth
- Reno Air Races table-top mural
- A Tesla coil to demonstrate wireless transfer of electricity by having a light bulb lowered to near proximity of a Tesla coil using a programmed motorized crane. The light bulb lights up when close to the Tesla coil for a visual confirmation of wireless energy.
- Paper airplane competition with prizes
- Official STEM Discovery Zone Reno Air Races Pilot Guide – 12 Page Full Color Booklet
- Two Augmented Reality Apps (iOS & Android) for digital treasure hunts at the 2022 Reno Air Races. Search and find digital aircraft flying around the Reno Air Races!
GRADD and NVBAA’s joint mission is to empower the next generation of Nevada’s STEM workforce and to educate Nevada’s youth through applications of the latest technology and teach critical-thinking and problem-solving skills through collaborative, hands-on projects and workforce training initiatives. Thanks to these organizations, students from all across Nevada, northern California and southern Utah, school administrators, teachers, parents, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Civil Air Patrol Cadets will get to experience a rich STEM-oriented aviation education and learning zone.
To register your school or youth group for free passes to the GRADD-NVBAA STEM Discovery Zone at the STIHL National Championship Air Races please click below:
For more information about the educational programs from GRADD and NVBAA, please contact [email protected].